- New techniques for rapid manufacturing and characterization of functionally graded, multifunctional, biologically-inspired, and nanocomposite materials
- Controlled formation of functionally graded and transversely modulated heterophase structures in thin films through diffusion and epitaxial principles
- Fundamental mechanical characterization and modeling of static and dynamic failure mechanisms in composite materials
- Development of new nanomechanical and multiscale characterization methods for composite materials and thin films
- New techniques for manufacturing Point-of-Care microfluidic devices using laminated object manufacturing and laser micromachining
- New biosensing principles for Point-of-Care microfluidic devices using optical methods and nanocomposite materials
- Development of multifunctional skins and compliant structures for robotics
- Ph.D., California Institute of Technology, 1994
- M.S., University of South Carolina, 1989
- B.S., University of South Carolina, 1988
Honors and Awards
- Best Paper Award at ASME Mechanisms & Robotics conference (2010)
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (2008)
- Pi Tau Sigma Faculty Appreciation Award (2007)
- A. J. Durelli Award, Society for Experimental Mechanics (2006)
- ONR Young Investigator Award (2000)
- Army Summer Faculty Research and Engineering Program (1997)
Professional Memberships and Service
- International Advisory Board for the journal Experimental Mechanics
- Paper reviewer, International Journal of Solids and Structures, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions, AIAA Journal, Journal of Intelligent Materials Systems and Structures, Experimental Mechanics, Optical Engineering
- NSF Proposal Review Panel on Civil and Mechanical Systems
- Reviewer, National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship program
- Chair of Graduate Committee, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Maryland
- Organizer, “Special Session on Biologically Inspired Materials,” SEM 2001 Annual Conference & Exposition on Experimental and Applied Mechanics, Portland, OR;
- Secretary, SEM Composites Technical Division
- Consultant, Army Research Lab, Unistates Technology, Metal Matrix Cast Composites, Inc.
- J. Balsam, Y. Kostov, H.A. Bruck, and A. Rasooly, “"Increasing sensitivity of complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor (CMOS) based fluorescence detection", to appear in Sensors and Actuators B (2012)
- J.Balsam, M. Ossandon, H.A. Bruck, and A. Rasooly, “Lensless CCD-based Fluorometer using a Micromachined Optical Söller Collimator”, Lab on a Chip, 11, 941-949 (2011).
- S. Haldar, H. A. Bruck, N. Gheewala, K. J. Grande-Allen, and M.A. Sutton, ”Multi-scale Mechanical Characterization of Palmetto Wood using Digital Image Correlation to Develop a Template for Biologically-inspired Polymer Composites”, Experimental Mechanics, 51, 575 (2011).
- H. Jin, S.Haldar, W. Lu, and H.A. Bruck, “Grid Method for Microscale Discontinuous Deformation Measurement”, Experimental Mechanics, 51, 565-574 (2011).
- L. Banks-Sills, Y. Hikri, S. Krylov, V. Fourman, Y. Gerson, and H.A. Bruck, “Measurement of Poisson’s Ratio by Means of a Direct Tension Test on Micron-sized Specimens”, 169, 98-114 Sensors and Actuators: A (2011).
- H. Jin, W.-Y. Lu, S. Haldar, and H.A. Bruck, “Microscale Characterization of Granular Deformation near a Crack Tip”, Journal of Materials Science, 46, 6596-6602 (2011).
- W. Bejgerowski, J.W. Gerdes, S.K. Gupta, and H.A. Bruck, “Design and Fabrication of Miniature Compliant Hinges for Multi-material Compliant Mechanisms”, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 57, 437-452 (2011)
- A.L. Roytburd, J. Ouyang, B. Boyerinas, and H.A. Bruck, “Stability of Heterophase Nanostructure and Field Induced Response of Epitaxial Ferroelectric Films”, Applied Physics Letters, 99, 172902 (2011).
- M. Yang, H.A. Bruck, D. Kostov, and A. Rasooly, “Biological Semiconductor Based on Electrical Percolation”, Analytical Chemistry 82, 3567-3572 (2010).
- M.Yang, S. Sun, H.A. Bruck, A. Rasooly, and Y. Kostov, “Electrical percolation-based biosensor for real-time direct detection of Staphylococcal enterotoxin B (SEB)”, Biosensors and Bioelectronics 25, 2573-2578 (2010).
- D. Mueller, H.A. Bruck and S.K. Gupta, “Measurement of Thrust and Lift Forces Associated with Drag of Compliant Flapping Wing for Micro Air Vehicles Using a New Test Stand Design”, 50, 725-735 Experimental Mechanics (2010).
- A. Ananthanarayanan, S.K. Gupta, and H.A. Bruck, “Characterization of a Reverse Molding Sequence at the Mesoscale for In-mold Assembly of Revolute Joints”, Polymer Engineering and Science, 50, 1843-1852 (2010).
- M. Yang, S.Sun, H.A. Bruck, D. Kostov, and A. Rasooly, “Lab-on-a-chip for Label Free Biological Semiconductor Assay of Staphylococcal Enterotoxin B”, Lab on a Chip, 10, 2534-2540 (2010).
- A. Ananthanarayanan, S.K. Gupta, and H.A. Bruck, “Modeling and Characterization to Minimize Effects of Melt Flow Fronts on Premolded Component Deformation during In-Mold Assembly of Mesoscale Revolute Joints”, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering-Transactions of the ASME, 132, 041006 (2010). (2010).
- A.L.Gershon, D.P.Cole, A.K.Kota, and H.A. Bruck, “Nanomechanical Characterization of Dispersion and its Effects in Nano-Enhanced Polymers and Polymer Composites”, Journal of Materials Science, 45, 6353-6364 (2010).