- Optical sensors
- Sensor mechanics and material behavior at multiple spatial scales
- Micro-scale and nano-scale sensor systems
- Sensors for civil, mechanical, electrical, biochemical, biomechanics, biology, medical, and environmental applications, and sensor networks
- Adaptive optics
- Wavefront sensing and control
- Imaging through turbulence
- Smart materials and structures
- Theoretical and experimental mechanics
- Ph.D., (Mechanical Engineering) University of Maryland, 2002
- M.S., (Engineering Mechanics) Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 1998
- B.S., (Engineering Mechanics) Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 1996
Honors and Awards
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award from National Science Foundation (2007)
- Young Investigator Research Program (YIP) Award from Air Force Office of Scientific Research (2007)
- The Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award (2006)
- Invention of the Year Award in the Physical Sciences Category from the University of Maryland (2002)
- Six invention disclosures, three U.S. patents in the area of fiber-optic sensor systems
Professional Memberships and Service
- Paper Reviewer for Journal of Precision Engineering, Journal of Mechatronics, and Journal of Experimental Mechanics, AIAA Journal, Journal of Experimental Mechanics, Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Journal of Acoustic Society of America, IEEE/ASME Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems
- ASEE Field Reviewer for Post-doctoral Fellowship Proposals
- Program Committee of SPIE Conference on Modeling, Signal Processing and Control, since 2004
- Technical Committee of ASME-IMECE on Dynamics and Control of Structures and Systems, since 2006
- Program Committee of SPIE Optics East Conference on Sensors for Harsh Environments, 2007
- Program Committee of SPIE Photonics Asia Conference on Advanced Materials and Devices for Sensing and Imaging, 2007
- Y. Liu and M. Yu, "Investigation of inclined dual-fiber optical tweezers for 3D manipulation and force sensing," Opt. Express, 17, 13624-13638, 2009.
- H. Liu, M. Yu, and X. M. Zhang, “Biomimetic optical directional microphone with structurally coupled diaphragms,” Applied Physics Letters, 93, 243902, 2008.
- M. Yu, X. Long, and B. Balachandran, “Sensor diaphragm under initial tension: nonlinear responses and design implications,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 312, pp. 39–54, 2008.
- S. Nesson, M. Yu, X. M. Zhang, and A. Hsieh, “Miniature fiber-optic pressure sensor with composite polymer-metal diaphragm for intradiscal pressure measurements,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, Vol. 13(4), 044040, 2008.
- L. Currano, S. Bauman, W. Churaman, M. Peckerar, J. Wienke, S. Kim, M. Yu, and B. Balachandran, “Latching MEMS shock sensors for ultra-low power acceleration monitoring,” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol. 147 (2), pp. 490-497, 2008.
- W. M. Zhu, T. Zhong, A. Q. Liu, X. M. Zhang, and M. Yu, “Micromachined optical well structure for thermo-optic switching,” Applied Physics Letters, 91, 261106, 2007.
- M. Yu and B. Balachandran, “Pressure sensor diaphragm under initial tension: linear analysis,” Experimental Mechanics, Vol. 45 (2): pp 123-129, 2005.
- M. Yu and M. A. Vorontsov, “Compensation of distant phase-distorting layers I: Narrow field of view adaptive receiver system,” Journal of the Optical Society of America A, Vol. 21(9), pp.1645-1658, 2004.
- M. A. Vorontsov and M. Yu, “Compensation of distant phase-distorting layers II: Extended field of view adaptive receiver system,” Journal of the Optical Society of America A, Vol. 21(9), pp. 1659-1668, 2004.
- M. Yu and B. Balachandran, “Acoustic measurements using a fiber optic sensor system,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 14(7), pp. 409-414, 2003.