- Electronic packaging and reliability
- Life-cycle cost analysis of electronic systems
- System sustainment including: technology obsolescence management (DMSMS)
- System availability
- Supply chain management
- Parts selection and management for electronic systems
- Prognostics and health management (PHM) for electronic systems
- Design for environment of electronic systems
- Ph.D., University of Michigan, 1987
Honors and Awards
- IEEE Fellow (2014)
- ASME Fellow (2013)
- 2010 Visiting Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering (UK)
- IEEE International Conference on Prognostics and Health Management 2011 Best Paper Award, for “Using Real Options to Manage Condition-Based Maintenance Enabled by PHM”
- The Engineering Economist journal 2006 Best Paper Award, for “Obsolescence Driven Design Refresh Planning for Sustainment-Dominated Systems”
- SOLE Proceedings Paper Award for best paper published during 2004 for "Forecasting Technology Insertion Concurrent with Design Refresh Planning for COTS-Based Electronics Systems”
- 2009 Poole and Kent Teaching Award for Senior Faculty
Professional Memberships and Service
- Invited Speaker: MIT, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Chalmers University, Loughborough University, University of Bath, Cranfield University
- Associate Editor: IEEE Transactions on Electronics Packaging Manufacturing
- North American Editor of the International Journal of Performability Engineering
- Board of Directors of the International PHM Society
- Conference chair and program chair: ASME Design for Manufacturing and Life Cycle Conference
- Program Committee: IEEE Multichip Module Conference
- SIA CAD Tool roadmap, NEMI Passive Components Technology Working Group
- Reviewer: IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging, and Manufacturing Technology–Parts A, B, C, IEEE Transactions on VLSI, IEEE Design & Test of Computers, Journal of Industrial Ecology, Design Automation Conference (DAC), INTERpack Conference
- Jazouli T., and P. Sandborn, “Using PHM to Meet Availability-Based Contracting Requirements,” IEEE International Conference on Prognostics and Health Management, Denver, CO, June 2011.
- Sandborn, P., "Trapped on Technology’s Trailing Edge," IEEE Spectrum, Vol. 45, No. 4, pp. 42-45, 54, 56-58, April 2008.
- Kleyner, A., and P. Sandborn, "Minimizing Life Cycle Cost by Managing Product Dependability via Validation Plan and Warranty Return Cost," International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 112, No. 2, pp. 796-807, April 2008.
- Sandborn, P., V. Prabhakar, and B. Eriksson "The Application of Product Platform Design to the Reuse of Electronic Components Subject to Long-Term Supply Chain Disruptions," Proceedings of the ASME 2008 International Design Engineering Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, New York, NY, Aug. 2008.
- Sandborn, P.A., and C. Wilkinson, "A Maintenance Planning and Business Case Development Model for the Application of Prognostics and Health Management (PHM) to Electronic Systems," Microelectronics Reliability, Vol. 47, No. 12, pp. 1889-1901, December 2007.
- Singh, P., and P. Sandborn, "Obsolescence Driven Design Refresh Planning for Sustainment-Dominated Systems," The Engineering Economist, Vol. 51, No. 2, pp. 115-139, April-June 2006.
- Sandborn, P.A., B. Etienne, and G. Subramanian, "Application-Specific Economic Analysis of Integral Passives,"' IEEE Trans. on Electronics Packaging Manufacturing, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 203-213, July 2001.