- Mechanics of the micro/nano structures in flexible macroelectronics and nanoelectronics
- Mechanics of low-dimensional carbon materials (graphene, CNTs, CNSs)
- Deformation instability of thin films and multilayers
- Biomechanics of membrane and cytoskeleton in cells
- Ph.D., Harvard University, 2006
Honors and Awards
- Society of Engineering Science (SES) Young Investigator Medal, 2016
- Summer Research and Scholarship Award (UMD), 2014
- E. Robert Kent Outstanding Teaching Award, 2012
- Keystone Professor (UMD Clark School Academy of Distinguished Professors), 2012~
- US National Committee on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Fellowship, 2012
- NSF International Travel Fellowship, 2010
- NSF Summer Institute Fellowship, 2009, 2010
- General Research Board Summer Research Award (UMD), 2009
- The Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award, 2007
- Best Poster Award, Gordon Research Conference (GRC) on Thin film & Small Scale Mechanical Behavior, 2006.
- Poster Award, Gordon Research Conference (GRC) on Ceramics, Solid State Studies In, 2005.
- Outstanding Poster Award, Materials Research Society (MRS), 16 out of 1700+ posters, 2004.
- Best Poster Award (Runner-up),Gordon Research Conference (GRC) on Thin film & Small Scale Mechanical Behavior, 2004.
Professional Memberships and Service
- Founder and Editor of www.macroelectronics.org, an interactive information platform for the emerging field of flexible macroelectronics
- One of the two architects of www.imechanica.org, an online international community of Mechanics and Mechanicians
- Member, Technical Committee on Integrated Structures, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Reviewer: Applied Physics Letters, Journal of Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Scripta Materialia, International Journal of Solids and Structures, Journal of Nanoparticle Research, AIAA Journal, International Journal of Fracture, MRS Proceedings
- Z. Zhang, T. Li, "Carbon nanotube initiated formation of carbon nanoscrolls", Applied Physics Letters, 97, 081909 (2010). Also selected to be included in Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology, Vol 22, Issue 10 (2010)
- Z. Zhang, T. Li, "Graphene morphology regulated by nanowires patterned in parallel on a substrate surface", Journal of Applied Physics, 107, 103519 (2010). Also selected to be included in Virtual J. Nano. Sci. Tech., Vol 21, Issue 23 (2010)
- M. B. Tucker, D. R. Hines, T. Li, "A quality map of transfer printing," Journal of Applied Physics, 106, 103504 (2009). Also selected to be included in Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology, Vol 20, Issue 22 (2009).
- T. Li, Z. Zhang, "Snap-through instability of graphene on substrates," Nanoscale Research Letters, DOI: 10.1007/s11671-009-9460-1 (2009).
- 24. Z. Zhang, T. Li, "Effects of grain boundary adhesion and grain size on ductility of thin metal films on polymer substrates," Scripta Materialia, 59, 862-865, (2008).
- T. Li, "A mechanics model of microtubule buckling in living cells," Journal of Biomechanics, 41, 1722-1729 (2008).
- T. Li and Z. Suo, "Ductility of thin metal films on polymer substrates modulated by interfacial adhesion," International Journal of Solids and Structures, 44, 1696-1705 (2007).
- S.P. Lacour, T. Li, D. Chan, S. Wagner, and Z. Suo, "Mechanisms of reversible stretchability of thin metal films on elastomeric substrates," Applied Physics Letter, 88, 204103 (2006).
- T. Li, Z. Suo, S.P. Lacour, S. Wagner, "Compliant thin film patterns of stiff materials as platforms for stretchable electronics," Journal of Materials Research, 20, 3274-3277 (2005).
- Y. Xiang, T. Li, Z. Suo, J. Vlassak, "High ductility of thin metal film adherent on polymer substrate," Applied Physics Letters, 87, 161910 (2005).