- Dynamic fracture mechanics
- Rock fracture and fragmentation
- Experimental stress analysis
Dr. Fourney has published approximately 250 articles describing the results of his research in dynamic fracture and crack arrest, including approximately 50 reports to the sponsors of his research. His research has been sponsored by NSF, AFOSR, ONR, NRC, DOE, NSWC, TARDEC, ARL, Oak Ridge National Labs, Los Alamos National Labs, and the US Bureau of Mines.
He has served as a consultant for Gillett Research Labs, Versar, Allegheny Ballistics Lab, Harry Diamond Labs, Los Alamos National Labs, and SAIC. He is active in the Society for Experimental Mechanics (SEM) and the International Society for Explosives Engineering (ISEE). Within ASTM he served as Chairman of the Crack Arrest Technical Committee. Within ISRM he was President of the Commission of Fragmentation by Blasting and is North American Editor of International Journal on Fragmentation and Blasting.
- B.S., Aerospace Engineering, West Virginia University
- M.S., Theoretical & Applied Mechanics, West Virginia University
- Ph.D., Theoretical & Applied Mechanics, Univ. of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, Society of Experimental Mechanics (SEM)
- Provost’s Faculty Advisor of the Year Award -2014 UMCP
- AIAA Associate Fellow
- Fellow, ASME
- Clifford L. Sayre Outstanding Teaching Award, 1995
- Pi Tau Sigma Outstanding Teaching Award, 1995
- Various Outstanding Mentoring Awards from the Department of Aerospace Engineering
- Faculty Advisor - Tau Beta Pi
- Former Advisor- Omicron Delta Kappa
- SEM 2000 F. G. Tatnall Award
- SEM 2015 Frocht Award
- SEM 2016 C. E. Taylor Award
- University of Maryland President’s Medal 2006
- Phillip Morrill Mentoring Award 2010 & 2011
- Charter Member, Academy of Distinguished Alumni, WVU MAE Department
- Member of Distinguished Alumni, University of Illinois-TAM Department
Professional Memberships and Service
- Member, Executive Board of SEMEF (Educational Foundation for SEM)
- National Member, ASTM, ASME, AIAA, AHS, ASEE, SEM, ISRM
- Former Chairman of International Society of Rock Mechanics Commission on Fragmentation by Blasting
- Member of International Organizing Committee on 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th International Conference on Fragmentation by Blasting
- Editor, International Journal of Fragmentation and Blasting (Blasting & Fragmentation)
- Member, Advisory Committee, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department, West Virginia University
- Former Member, Advisory Committee, Aerospace and Ocean Engineering Department, Va. Tech
- Member, Pi Tau Sigma, Tau Beta Pi, Sigma Gamma Tau, Sigma Xi, Omicron Delta Kappa, Phi Delta Phi
- Advisory Board, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering
- “Small Scale Model Testing in Investigations of Energetic Materials” , W.L. Fourney, H.U. Leiste & L.C. Taylor, Blasting & Fragmentation, Volume 6, Number 1, April 2012, pp 19-40..
- “Mitigation of Loading on Floor Boards in Light Armored Vehicles Subjected to Explosive Loading”, Robert Benedetti & W. L. Fourney, Blasting & Fragmentation, Volume 6, Number 2, August, 2012..
- “An Examination of the Factors Affecting the Loading on a Vehicle Subjected to the Detonation of a Buried Mine”, Jarrod Bonsmann & W. L. Fourney, Blasting & Fragmentation, Volume 6, Number 3, December 2012, 73-100, pp 154-178..
- “Heterotopic Ossification Following Blast Amputation: A comparison of forelimb and hind limb blasts in a rat model”, David E. Jaffe, MD, David Yoo, MS, Jason Blevins, BA, Gregory Gasbarro, MS, Tyler Hughes, Ebrahim Paryavi, MD, William Fourney, PhD, Vincent D. Pellegrini, Jr., MD, American Academy of orthopedic Surgeons Annual Meeting, San Francisco, Ca, February 7-11, 2012
- "Pressures on a Vehicle Subjected to the Detonation of a Buried Mine”, Uli Leiste and W. L. Fourney, ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, Houston, TX, November 9-15, 2012.
- “Scaling of the deformation histories for clamped circular plates subjected to blast loading by buried charges”, Xing Zhao, Vikrant Tiwari, Michael A. Sutton, Xiaomin Deng, William L. Fourney, Uli Leiste, International Journal of Impact Engineering. Vol. 398, Issue 1, January 2013, pp. 31-50.
- “The Effect of Air Filled Voids on Impulse Delivered by a Buried Explosive”, W. L. Fourney, Ulrich Leiste, and David Fox, Blasting & Fragmentation, Volume 7, Number 1, pp 31-46, April, 2013
- "Experimental Studies to Investigate Pressure Loading on Target Plates”, Blasting & Fragmentation, Volume 7, Number 2, September, 2013. pp 99-126.
- "Mitigation of Loading on Personnel in Light Armored Vehicles Using Small Model Testing”, Thomas Brodrick, Ryan Hurley, & W. L. Fourney, Blast Mitigation: Experimental and Numerical Studies, editors Arun Shukla, Y. D. S. Rajapakse, and Mary Ellen Hynes, Springer, 2013.
- "The Effect of Local Wound Care on Heterotopic Ossification Following Blast Amputation in a Rat”, Thao Nguyen, et. al., American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons Annual Meeting, San Francisco, Ca, February, 2013.
- "Hypobaria Worsens Axonal Injury and Blood Brain Barrier Disruption Induced by Underbody Blast-Induced Hyperacceleration”, Julie Proctor, Irina Balan, Yi-Chun Hsieh, William Fourney, Adam Puche, Alan I. Faden, Robert E. Rosenthal, Raymond Fang, Parissa Rangghran, and Gary Fiskum University of Maryland Schools of Medicine and Engineering, 2013 National Neurotrauma Society Symposium.
- "Hypobaria Worsens Axonal Injury and Blood Brain Barrier Disruption Induced by Underbody Blast-Induced Hyperacceleration” Julie Proctor, Irina Balan, Yi-Chun Hsieh, William Fourney, Adam Puche, Alan I. Faden, Robert E. Rosenthal, Raymond Fang, Parissa Rangghran, and Gary Fiskum, University of Maryland Schools of Medicine and Engineering. Military Health System Research Symposium, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, August, 2013.
- “Failure of Indomethacin and Radiation to Prevent Blast-Induced Heterotopic Ossification in an Animal Model”, with Astor Robertson, 2014 American Academy of orthopedic Surgeons Annual Meeting.
- "Pulsatile Lavage of Open Musculoskeletal Wounds Causes Muscle Necrosis and Dystrophic Calcification”, with Astor Robertson, et. al. , 2014 American Academy of orthopedic Surgeons Annual Meeting.
- "Aeromedical Evacuation-Relevant Hypobaria Worsens Axonal Injury and Blood Brain Barrier Disruption Induced by Underbody Blast-induced Hyperacceleration”, Fiskum, et. al.Society for Neuroscience in Anesthesiology and Critical Care, New Orleans, La., October 2014.
- "Laboratory Explosive Testing at Small Scale”, Leslie. C. Taylor, W. L. Fourney, & H. Ulrich Leiste. 2014 NDIA Ground Vehicle Systems Engineering and Technology Symposium, August 12-14, 2014. Novi, Michigan.
- "Experimental Small Scale Model Studies: Mitigating Passenger Accelerations When Subjected to Buried Explosive Loading-Part 2”, Xing Zhao, Ryan Hurley, William Fourney, Uli Leiste, Michael Sutton, and Xiaomin Deng, Journal of Experimental Mechanics, 2014.
- “Rat Model of Brain Injury Caused by Under-Vehicle Blast-Induced Hyperacceleration”, Proctor, J. .L., Fourney, W. L., Leiste, Uli, and Fiskum, G., Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery, September, 2014.
- "The effects of air filled voids and water content on the momentum transferred from a shallow buried explosive to a rigid target”, D.M. Fox, S.A. Akers, U.H. Leiste, W.L. Fourney, J.E. Windham, J.S. Lee, J.Q. Ehrgott, L.C. Taylor, Journal of Impact Engineering, 2014.
- "The Effect of Polyurea Mass Ratio on the Acceleration Mitigation Capabilities of Dynamically Loaded Structures”, Jarrod Bonsmann & W. L. Fourney, Journal of Dynamic Behavior of Material, 2014.
- “The Role of Stress Waves and Fracture Mechanics in Fragmentation”, W. L. Fourney, Keynote Address, Fragblast 11, Sydney, Australia, August 2015.
- "Mitigation of Accelerations caused by blast loading utilizing shape memory polymeric-coated metallic thin-walled cylinders”, Jarrod Bonsmann and W. L. Fourney, Journal of Dynamic Behavior of Material, 2015.
- "Does Blast Medium Affect Heterotopic ossification in a Blast Amputation Model?”, Jaffe, D. E., Yoo, D., Blevins J., Gasbarro G., Hughes, T., Paryavi E., Nguyen, T., Fourney, W., Pellegrini, D. D. Jr., Clinical Orthopedic Related Research, 2015.
- "Controlled Explosive Fracturing:, W. L. Fourney and Ulrich Leiste, Blasting & Fragmentation Volume 9, Number 1, June, 2015.
- "The Role of Stress Waves and Fracture Mechanics in Fragmentation”, W. L. Fourney, Blasting & Fragmentation Volume 9, Number 2 December, 2015.
- “Mitigation of Accelerations on Vehicles Subjected to Buried Mine Loading”, Plitt, Zachary, Bonsmann, Jarrod, & Fourney, W. L., Blasting & Fragmentation, Volume 10, Number 2, December, 2016.