- Micro-electro-mechanical systems
- Soft robotics
- Robot locomotion
- Networked centimeter-scale robots
- Millimeter-scale power systems
Sarah Bergbreiter had a short introduction to the challenges of sensor networks at a small startup company before receiving her advanced degrees with a focus on microrobotics.
- Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley, 2007
- M.S.E.E. University of California, Berkeley, 2004
- B.S.E. Princeton University, 1999
Honors and Awards
- 2011 - NSF CAREER Award for research on engineering robotic systems down to sub-millimeter size scales
- 2010 - IEEE ICRA Best Conference Paper Award for work incorporating new materials into microrobotics
- 2008 - DARPA Young Faculty Award
- Gerratt, A. P., Balakrisnan, B. and Bergbreiter, S., “Batch microfabricated bidirectional dielectric elastomer actuators,” in Transducers, Beijing, June 5-9, 2011.
- Penskiy, I., Gerratt, A. P., and Bergbreiter, S., “Efficient electrostatic inchworm motors with simple control and high force density,” in Transducers, Beijing, June 5-9, 2011.
- Vogtmann, D. E., Gupta S. K., and Bergbreiter, S., “Multi-Material Compliant Mechanisms for Mobile Millirobots,” in IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Shanghai, May 9-13, 2011.
- Gerratt, A. P., Penskiy, I., and Bergbreiter, S., “SOI/elastomer process for energy storage and rapid release,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, vol. 20, no. 10, p. 104011, 2010.
- Currano, L. J., Churaman, W., Rajkowski, J., Morris, C. J., Bergbreiter, S. “Nanoenergetic Silicon as a Thrust Actuator for Jumping Microrobots,” Hilton Head 2010 Workshop, June 6-10, 2010.
- Gerratt, A.P., Penskiy, I., Bergbreiter, S. “Integrated Silicon-PDMS Process for Microrobot Mechanisms,” ICRA 2010, Anchorage, AK, May 3-7, 2010.
- Hollar, S., Flynn, A., Bergbreiter, S., and Pister, K.S.J.**, "Robot Leg Motion in a Planarized-SOI, Two-Layer Poly-Si Process," Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 14, pp. 725-740, 2005.