Gupta, Ashwani K.
- Swirl flows
- High-temperature air combustion
- Distributed combustion
- Alternative fuels
- Gas turbine combustion
- Flowfield modeling
- Nonintrusive diagnostics
- Highly preheated air combustion
- Thermal destruction of solid and liquid wastes
- Gasification; sensors
- Internal combustion engines
- Fouling and deposition
- Pulse detonation
- Combustion in microengines
Professor Ashwani K. Gupta has been a faculty member in the Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Maryland, College Park since 1983, following six years at MIT as a member of the research staff in the Energy Laboratory and Department of Chemical Engineering, and three years at Sheffield University as an independent research worker and research fellow in the Department of Chemical Engineering and Fuel Technology. He has over 35 years of experience in Combustion engineering since his graduation from Southampton University in 1970, and is the author of over 550 technical papers, three books, and 10 edited books. In 2016, Dr. Gupta was elected to Fellowship of the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS), UK, the highest professional recognition bestowed by the RAeS. He is currently Fellow of American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics AIAA), Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), and International Society of Energy and Environment Sustainability (ISEES).
- D.Sc., 1986, University of Sheffield, England
- Ph.D., 1973, University of Sheffield, England
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Society of Automotive Engineers, and Institute of Energy [U.K.]
- ASME George Westinghouse Gold Medal (1998)
- ASME James Harry Potter Gold Medal Award (2003)
- ASME James N. Landis Medal (2004)
- ASME Worcester Reed Warner Medal (2008)
- ASME Holly Medal (2010)
- ASME-AIM Percey Nichols Award (2011)
- AIAA Energy Systems Award (1990) and Propellants and Combustion Award (1999)
- Seven Best Paper Awards by AIAA and ASME
- University of Maryland President Kirwan Research Award (2003)
- University of Maryland A. James Clark School of Engineering Outstanding Research Award (2006)
- Distinguished University Professor (2008)
- Gave over 80 Plenary/Keynote/Invited presentations at international conferences and organizations during the past 15 years
Professional Memberships and Service
- Editor in Chief of APEC Youth Scientist Journal
- Editor of Journal of Applied Energy
- Associate Editor of International Fuel Sprays and Combustion Dynamics
- Associate Editor of Journal of Sustainable Energy and Environment
- Editor, Energy and Engineering Science Series, CRC Press
- Associate Editor, J. Prop. and Power; Chair, Board of Boiler Rules, State of Maryland
- Member, Science Advisory Committee, State of Maryland Power Plant Program
- Chair, ASME Fuels and Combustion Tech. Division
- Executive Committee Member, ASME Computers and Information in Engineering
- Director of Propulsion and Energy, and Member of Board of Directors, AIAA
- Oversight Chair, International Conference on Incineration and Thermal Treatment Technologies (IT3)
- Abdelhafez, A. and Gupta, A. K., "Effect of Swirl on Mixing in Underexpanded Supersonic Airflow", J. Propulsion and Power, Vol. 27, No. 1, January-February, 2011, pp. 117-131.
- Ahmed, I. I., Nipattummakul, N., Gupta A. K., "Characteristics of Syngas from Co-Gasification of Polyethylene and Woodchips", J. Applied Energy, Vol. 88, 2011, pp. 165-174.
- Arghode, V. and Gupta, A. K, "Development of High Intensity CDC Combustor for Gas Turbine Engines", J. Applied Energy, Vol. 88, November 2010, pp. 963-973. doi: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2010.07.038.
- Vijayan, V., and Gupta, A. K., "Combustion and Heat Transfer at Meso-scale with thermal recuperation", J. Applied Energy, Vol. 87, No. 8, August 2010, pp. 2628-2639.
- Ahmed, I., and Gupta, A. K., "Pyrolysis and Gasification of Food Waste: Syngas Characteristics and Char Gasification Kinetics", J. Applied Energy, Vol. 87, 2010, pp. 101-108.
- Ahmed, I., and Gupta, A. K., "Hydrogen Production form Polystyrene Pyrolysis and Gasification Characteristics and Kinetics", Intl. J. of Hydrogen Energy, June, 2009, Volume 34, Issue 15, August 2009, Pages 6253-6264.
- Gautam, V. and Gupta, A. K., "Cryogenic Flow and Atomization from a Coaxial Injector", J. Propulsion and Power, Vol. 25, No. 1, Jan-Feb. 2009, pp. 33-39.
- Kim, H. S., Arghode, V. K., Linck, M., and Gupta, A. K., "Hydrogen Addition Effects in a Confined Swirl Stabilized Methane-air Flame", International J. Hydrogen Energy, 34, 2009, pp. 1054-1062.
- Linck, M. and Gupta, A. K., "Twin-Fluid Atomization and Novel Lifted Swirl-Stabilized Spray Flames", J. Propulsion and Power, Vol. 25, No. 2, March-April 2009, pp. 343-356.
- Linck, M, Gupta, A. K. and Yu, K., "Submerged Combustion and Two-phase Exhaust Jet", J. Propulsion and Power, Vol. 25, No. 2, March-April 2009, pp. 522-532.
- Mortberg, M., Blasiak, W. and Gupta, A. K., "Experimental Investigation of Flow Phenomena of a Single Fuel Jet in Cross-Flow during Highly Preheated Air Combustion Conditions", J. Eng. for Gas Turbine and Power, Vol. 129, No. 2, April 2007, pp. 556-564.
- Tsuji, H., Gupta, A.K., Hasegawa, T., Katsuki, M., Kishimoto, K., and Morita, M., “High Temperature Air Combustion: From Energy Conservation to Pollution Reduction,” CRC Press, 2003, 401 pages.
- Gupta, A.K., M. Lewis, and M. Dauer, “Swirl Effects on Combustion Characteristics of Premixed Flames,” ASME J. of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 123, No. 3, pp. 619-626, 2001.