- Control Systems
- Networked Control Systems
- Control of Networked Robotic Systems
- Distributed Synchronization
Dr. Chopra's research interests are in developing a fundamental understanding of control of networked dynamical systems. The work is motivated by applications in networked control of robotic systems and semi-autonomous telerobotic networks.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Coordinated Science Laboratory, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2006-2007.
- Ph.D., Systems and Entrepreneurial Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2006.
- Bachelor of Technology (Honors), Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India, 2001.
Honors and Awards
William A. Chittenden Award for outstanding graduate research and the Vodafone Graduate Fellowship, 2003.
Professional Memberships and Service
- Co-Chair, IEEE RAS Technical Committee on Telerobotics
- Reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, IEEE Transactions on Robotics, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Automatica, SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization, Asian Journal of Control and Mechatronics
- P. Tallapragada and N. Chopra, "On Event Triggered Tracking for Nonlinear Systems," IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Provisionally Accepted, 2012.
- Y-C Liu and N. Chopra, "Control of Semi-Autonomous Teleoperation System with Time Delays," Automatica, Provisionally Accepted, 2012.
- Y-C Liu and N. Chopra, "Control of Robotic Manipulators under Input-Output Delays: Theory and Experiments," IEEE Transactions on Robotics, To Appear, 2012.
- N. Chopra, "Output Synchronization on Strongly Connected Graphs," IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Accepted, 2012.
- Y-C Liu and N. Chopra, "Controlled Synchronization of Heterogeneous Robotic Manipulators in the Task Space," IEEE Transactions on Robotics, Vol. 28, No.1, pp. 268-275, 2012.
- N. Chopra and M.W. Spong, "On Exponential Synchronization of Kuramoto Oscillators," IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. 52, No. 2, pp. 353 – 357, 2009.
- N. Chopra, P. Berestesky, and M.W. Spong, "Bilateral Teleoperation over Unreliable Communication Networks," IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 304-313, 2008.
- N. Chopra, M.W. Spong, and R. Lozano, "Synchronization of Bilateral Teleoperators with Time Delay," Automatica, Vol. 44, No. 8, pp. 2142-2148, 2008.
- N. Chopra and M.W. Spong, "Passivity-Based Control of Multi-Agent Systems," in Advances in Robot Control, From Everyday Physics to Human-Like Movements, Sadao Kawamura and Mikhail Svinin, Eds., pp. 107-134, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2006.
- N. Chopra, M.W. Spong, R. Ortega, and N.E. Barabanov, "On Tracking Performance in Bilateral Teleoperation," IEEE Transactions on Robotics, Vol. 22, pp. 861-866, 2006.