- Numerical methods for multiphase flow
- Multiscale modeling and simulation of multiphase flow in porous media, microchannels and heat exchangers
- Multiphase transport of mixtures in porous media
- Perturbation analysis of interfacial instability
- Carbon dioxide sequestration
- Enhanced oil recovery
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Stanford University, Petroleum Engineering, 2006.
- Ph.D., University of California Santa Barbara, Mechanical Engineering, 2003.
- M.S., University of Southern California, Aerospace Engineering, 2001.
- B.S., University of Engineering and Technology Lahore, Mechanical Engineering, 1994.
- De Loubens, R., Riaz, A. and Tchelepi, H.A., "Adaptive Implicit Scheme for Hyperbolic Conservation Laws: Formulation and Error Analysis," SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, 31(4):2890, 2009.
- Yildiray, C., Riaz, A. and Tchelepi, H.A., "Experimental Study of CO2 Injection into Saline Formations," SPE Journal, 14:588-594, 2009.
- Riaz, A. and Tchelepi, H.A., "Dynamics of Vertical Displacement in Saline Aquifers Associated with CO2 Sequestration," SPE Journal, 13:305, 2008.
- Riaz, A. and Tchelepi, H.A., "Stability of Two-Phase Vertical Flow in Homogeneous Porous Media," Physics of Fluids, 19: 072103, 2007.
- Riaz, A., Tang, G-Q, Tchelepi, H.A. and Kovscek, A.R., "Forced Imbibition in Natural Porous Media: Comparison Between Experiments and Continuum Models," Physical Review, E 75: 036305, 2007.
- Riaz, A. and Tchelepi, H.A., "Influence of Relative Permeability on the Stability Characteristics of Immiscible Flow in Porous Media," Transport in Porous Media, 64 (3): 315-338, 2006.
- Riaz, A., Hesse, M., Tchelepi, H.A. and Orr, F.M., "Onset of Convection in a Gravitationally Unstable Diffusive Boundary Layer in Porous Media," Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 548: 87-111, 2006.
- Riaz, A. and Tchelepi, H.A., "Numerical Simulation of Immiscible Two-Phase Flow in Porous Media," Physics of Fluids, 18 (1): 014104, 2006.
- Riaz, A. and Meiburg, E., "Vorticity Interaction Mechanisms in Variable-Viscosity Heterogeneous Miscible Displacements With and Without Density Contrast," Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 517: 1-25, 2004.