Mechanical Engineering Faculty Profile
Dr. Bao Yang
Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
4164D Glenn L. Martin Hall, Building 088
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
Postdoc Position Available
Start date: September 2010
Material Science background preferable
Contact me for details
Micro/nanoscale thermal transport and energy conversion; thermal science and its applications in electrical engineering, optical engineering, and material science; micro/nano devices; MEMS and nanotechnology.
Ph.D., (Mechanical Engineering) University of California, Los Angles, 2003
Ph.D., (Physics) University of Science and Technology of China, 1998
- G. Chen, B. Yang, and W.L. Liu, “Engineering Nanostructures for Energy Conversion”, Chapter 2 in Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow in Microscale and Nanoscale Structures, edited by M. Faghri and B. Sunden.
- B. Yang and G. Chen, “Partially Coherent Phonon Heat Conduction in Superlattices”, Physical Review B, Vol. 67, pp.195311-195314, 2003. Also selected for the May 19, 2003 issue of the Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology, http:/www/.vjnano.org.
- B. Yang, W.L. Liu, J.L. Liu, K.L, Wang, and G. Chen, “Measurements of Anisotropic Thermoelectric Properties in Superlattices”, Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 81, pp. 3588-3590, 2002.
- B. Yang, J.L. Liu, K.L. Wang, and G. Chen, “Simultaneous Measurements of Seebeck Coefficient and Thermal Conductivity across Superlattice”, Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 80, pp. 1758-1760, 2002. Also selected for the March 18, 2002 issue of the Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology, http:/www/.vjnano.org.
- B. Yang and G. Chen, “A Unified Wave-Particle Treatment for Phonon Transport in Superlattices”, presented at ICT’2002, Proceedings of 21st International Conference on Thermoelectrics, ICT’02, pp. 306-309.
- B. Yang, J. L. Liu, K. L. Wang, and G. Chen , “Cross-Plane Thermoelectric Properties in Si/Ge Superlattices”, Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, Thermoelectric Materials 2001-Research and Applications, Vol. 691, pp.G3.2.1-6, 2002.
- B. Yang and G. Chen, “Lattice Dynamics Study of Anisotropic Heat Conduction in Superlattices”, Microscale Thermophysical Engineering, Vol. 5, pp. 107-116, 2001.
- B. Yang and G. Chen, “Lattice Dynamics Study of Phonon Heat Conduction in Quantum Wells”, Physics of Low-Dimensional Structures, Vol. 5/6, pp. 37-48, 2000.
Scientific and Professional Membership
Member - American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Materials Research Society, American Physical Society, International Thermoelectrics Society.