Mechanical Engineering Faculty Profile:
Dr. Amir Riaz
Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
3127 Glenn L. Martin Hall, Building 088
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
Numerical methods for multiphase flow. Multiscale modeling and simulation of multiphase flow in porous media, microchannels and heat exchangers. Multiphase transport of mixtures in porous media. Perturbation analysis of interfacial instability. Carbon dioxide sequestration. Enhanced oil recovery.
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Stanford University, Petroleum Engineering, 2006.
Ph.D., University of California Santa Barbara, Mechanical Engineering, 2003.
M.S., University of Southern California, Aerospace Engineering, 2001.
B.S., University of Engineering and Technology Lahore, Mechanical Engineering, 1994.
- De Loubens, R., Riaz, A. and Tchelepi, H.A., Adaptive Implicit Scheme for Hyperbolic Conservation Laws: Formulation and Error Analysis, SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, 31(4):2890, 2009.
- Yildiray, C., Riaz, A. and Tchelepi, H.A., Experimental Study of CO2 Injection into Saline Formations, SPE Journal, 14:588-594, 2009.
- Riaz, A. and Tchelepi, H.A., Dynamics of Vertical Displacement in Saline Aquifers Associated with CO2 Sequestration, SPE Journal, 13:305, 2008.
- Riaz, A. and Tchelepi, H.A., Stability of Two-Phase Vertical Flow in Homogeneous Porous Media, Physics of Fluids, 19: 072103, 2007.
- Riaz, A., Tang, G-Q, Tchelepi, H.A. and Kovscek, A.R., Forced Imbibition in Natural Porous Media: Comparison Between Experiments and Continuum Models, Physical Review, E 75: 036305, 2007.
- Riaz, A. and Tchelepi, H.A., Influence of Relative Permeability on the Stability Characteristics of Immiscible Flow in Porous Media, Transport in Porous Media, 64 (3): 315-338, 2006.
- Riaz, A., Hesse, M., Tchelepi, H.A. and Orr, F.M., Onset of Convection in a Gravitationally Unstable Diffusive Boundary Layer in Porous Media, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 548: 87-111, 2006.
- Riaz, A. and Tchelepi, H.A., Numerical Simulation of Immiscible Two-Phase Flow in Porous Media, Physics of Fluids, 18 (1): 014104, 2006.
- Riaz, A. and Meiburg, E., Vorticity Interaction Mechanisms in Variable-Viscosity Heterogeneous Miscible Displacements With and Without Density Contrast, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 517: 1-25, 2004.