Mechanical Engineering Faculty Profile:
Dr. James Duncan
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Keystone: The Clark School Academy of Distinguished Professors
3118 Glenn L. Martin Hall, Building 088
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
Experimental and theoretical/numerical investigations of fluid flows: breaking water waves, growing and collapsing bubbles interacting with compliant boundaries, turbulent boundary layers interacting with compliant walls, and quantitative flow visualization.
Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University, 1979
- J. Diorio, X. Liu and J. H. Duncan, "An Experimental Investigation of Incipient Spilling Breaking," J. Fluid Mech., Vol. 633, pp. 271-283, 2009.
- M. Shakeri, M. Tavakolinejad, and J. H. Duncan, "An Experimental Investigation of Divergent Bow Waves Simulated by a 2D+T Technique," J. Fluid Mech., Vol. 634, pp. 217-243. 2009.
- J.D. Diorio, Y. Cho, J.H. Duncan and T.R. Akylas, "Gravity--Capillary Lumps Generated by a Moving Pressure Source," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 103, No. 21, DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.103.214502, November 2009.
- J. D. Diorio, Y. Cho, J. H. Duncan, and T. R. Akylas, "Resonantly forced gravity--capillary lumps on deep water. Part 1. Experiments," J. Fluid Mech., in press, November, 2010.
- Y. Cho, J. D. Diorio, T. R. Akylas, and J. H. Duncan, "Resonantly forced gravity--capillary lumps on deep water. Part 2. Theory," J. Fluid Mech., in press, November, 2010.
Scientific and Professional Membership
Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Associate Editor 2010-present; American Physical Society, Division of Fluid Dynamics: Secretary-Treasurer 2003-2006, Coordinator of the Gallery of Fluid Motion 2001-present, Chair of the Annual Meeting Press Relations Committee 2008-present, Member at Large of the Executive Committee 2010-2013, Co-organizer of the 2001 Annual Meeting.
Honors and Awards
Fellow, American Physical Society; Poole and Kent Teaching Award for Senior Faculty of the College of Engineering, University of Maryland 2003; Distinguished Scholar Teacher University of Maryland 2004.