Mechanical Engineering Faculty Profile:
Dr. Hugh Bruck
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Associate Chair for Academic Affairs
Director of Graduate Studies
2174 Glenn L. Martin Hall, Building 088
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
Polymer processing of functionally graded materials, smart materials, multifunctional materials, and nanocomposites; particulate material processing of functionally graded materials and nanocomposites; thin film processing of nanostructured functionally graded materials; finite element modeling of functionally graded and multifunctional materials; microstructural and mechanical characterization of functionally graded materials, smart materials, multifunctional materials, nanocomposites, and biologically inspired heterogeneous structures; and mathematical techniques for optimizing the design of functionally graded and multifunctional materials.
Ph.D., California Institute of Technology, 1994
M.S., University of South Carolina, 1989
B.S., University of South Carolina, 1988
- D. P. Cole, H.A. Bruck, and A.L. Roytburd, “Nanoindentation Studies of Graded Shape Memory Alloy Thin Films Processed Using Diffusion Modification,” Journal of Applied Physics, 103, 064315 (2008).
- A. K. Kota, R. Kerzner, D. I. Bigio, H. A. Bruck, and D. Powell, “Characterization of Processing Effects in HIPS-CNF composites using Thermogravimetric Analysis,” Polymer Engineering and Science, 48, 1120-1125 (2008).
- A.L. Gershon, L.J.Gyger, Jr., H. A. Bruck and S.K. Gupta, “Thermoplastic Polymer Shrinkage in Emerging Molding Processes”, Experimental Mechanics, 48, 789-798 (2008).
- A.K.Kota, L. Murphy, T. Strohmer, D.I. Bigio, H.A. Bruck, and D. Powell, “Combinatorial Development of Polymer Nanocomposites using Transient Processing Conditions in Twin Screw Extrusion,” AICHE Journal, 54, 1895-1900 (2008).
- J. Kruft, Y. Shabana, and H.A. Bruck, “Effect of TiO2 Nanopowder on the Sintering Behavior of Nickel-Alumina Composites for Functionally Graded Materials,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 91, 2870-2877 (2008).
- B. H. Cipriano, A. K. Kota, A. L. Gershon,C. J. Laskowski, T. Kashiwagi, H. A. Bruck, S. R. Raghavan,”Conductivity Enhancement of Carbon Nanotube and Nanofiber-based Polymer Nanocomposites by Melt Annealing,” Polymer, 22, 4846-4851 (2008).
- M. Yang, Y. Kostov, H.A. Bruck, and A. Rasooly, “Carbon Nanotubes with Enhanced Chemiluminescence (CNT-ECL) Immunoassay for CCD-based Detection of Staphylococcal Enterotoxin B (SEB) in Food,” Analytical Chemistry, 80, 8532-8537 (2008).
- Y.Q. Wang, M.A. Sutton, H.A. Bruck, and H.W. Schreier, “Quantitative Error Assessment in Pattern Matching: Effects of Intensity Pattern Noise, Interpolation, Subset Size and Image Contrast on Motion Measurements,” Strain, 45, 160-178 (2009).
- A. Ananthanarayanan, S.K. Gupta, and H.A. Bruck, “Characterization and Control of Plastic Deformation in Mesoscale Premolded Components to Realize In-mold Assembled Mesoscale Revolute Joints,” Polymer Engineering and Science, 49, 293-304 (2008).
- H.A. Bruck, “Implantable Biomedical Devices & Biologically Inspired Materials and Systems,” Handbook on Experimental Mechanics, Ed. William N. Sharpe, Jr., Springer, New York, NY (2008).
- D.P. Cole, H. Jin, W.-Y. Lu, H.A. Bruck, and A.L. Roytburd, “A nanoscale technique for characterizing recovery of inelastic deformation in graded shape memory alloy films,” Applied Physics Letters, 94, 193114 (2009).
- D.P. Cole, H.A. Bruck, and A.L. Roytburd, “Nanomechanical Characterization of Graded NiTi films Fabricated though Diffusion Modification,” Strain, 45, 2332-237 (2009).
- S. Sun, N. Sergeev, J. Francis, Y. Kostov, M.Yang, H. A. Bruck, K. E. Herold and A. Rasooly, “Laminated Object Manufacturing (LOM) Technology Based Multi-Channel Lab-on-a-Chip for Enzymatic and Chemical Analysis”, Lab-on-a-Chip Technology: Fabrication and Microfluidics, Ed. By Keith Herold and Avraham Rasooly, Horizon Scientific Press, Norwich, UK (2009).
Scientific and Professional Membership
Associate Editor, Experimental Mechanics; Paper reviewer, International Journal of Solids and Structures, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions, AIAA Journal, Journal of Intelligent Materials Systems and Structures, Experimental Mechanics, Optical Engineering; NSF Proposal Review Panel on Civil and Mechanical Systems; Reviewer, National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship program; Organizer, “Special Session on Biologically Inspired Materials,” SEM 2001 Annual Conference & Exposition on Experimental and Applied Mechanics, Portland, OR; Secretary, SEM Composites Technical Division; Consultant, Army Research Lab, Unistates Technology, Metal Matrix Cast Composites, Inc.; Graduate Committee representative, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Maryland.
Honors and Awards
Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (2008); Pi Tau Sigma Faculty Appreciation Award (2007); A. J. Durelli Award, Society for Experimental Mechanics (2006); ONR Young Investigator Award (2000); Army Summer Faculty Research and Engineering Program (1997).